- 3 egg whites
- 125g Ground Almonds (almond meal) (approx 1 cup)
- 125g Icing Sugar (approx 3/4 cup)
- 25g Cocoa (approx 1/4 Cup)
- 125g Caster Sugar (divided in half)
1. Pulse almond meal, icing sugar and cocoa to fine powder in food processor.
2. Sift into mixing bowl.
3. Seperate egg whites and put in electric mixing bowl with 1/2 of the caster sugar and beat on low-medium speed in mixer (Kitchen aid).
4. After 2mins increase speed gradually and add the rest of the sugar until dissolved. (I don't think peaks are supposed to form, it creates a thin sugary mixture, very glossy).
5. Gently fold almond mixture into egg white mixture until smooth and glossy, with lava like consistency.
6. Fill piping bag with mixture and pipe walnut sized mounds onto 2 lined baking trays. Pipe from the centre and mixure will spread out in an even circle shape.
7. Tap the trays on the bench to break up any air bubbles.
8. Allow macaroons to set on bench (to create skin/ foot).
9. Bake macaroons for 12-14mins in oven at 160 degrees Celsius.
10. Take macaroons off tray and cool.
Chocolate Ganache (Filling)
- 1/3 cup of cream
- 250g Chocolate (bitter sweet, approx 70% cocoa)
- Bring cream to boil in pot on stove.
- Put chocolate in metal bowl and pour boiling cream over chocolate.
- Stir cream through chocolate to melt, until smooth. (Don't put in fridge).
Put together the Macaroons
- Put a small amount of ganache in centre of back of macaroon.
- Place other disk of macaroon and twist to spread out the mixture evenly around the macaroon.
|Combine almond meal, cocoa, icing sugar|
|Pulse almond, cocoa & icing sugar in food processor|
|Combine almond mixture with egg white & sugar mixture|
|Pipe mixture into disc shapes.|
Bang tray on bench to remove air bubbles.
Rest for 30mins to create foot.
|Mix cream with chocolate to create the ganache.|
|Bake macaroons for 12-14mins in oven.|
|Foot on macaroons|